2 day course designed for new instructors to watersports to teach the BSUPA Level 1 Course.
BSUPA instructor qualifications are only valid when teaching from within a BSUPA affiliated school.
Cost – £225 includes manuals and certificates
Instructor Candidate Pre requisites:
- Current member of BSUPA
- Minimum age 18
- Valid First Aid qualification – Minimum 1 day attended comprehensive Emergency First Aid Course (Online not accepted)
- Riding ability, competent on a range of boards – be able to demo-short paddle strokes, step back and reverse paddle turns- board 360s body 360s foot and paddle steering, basics push turns and paddle boarding in reverse
- Minimum 40 hours SUP experience before course
- Shadow teaching will be required before certificates are issued
- Students without any previous water sports teaching experience or qualifications will be required to ghost qualified BSUPA instructors before certificates are issued.
Candidates should have a basic knowledge of SUP ideally have a BSUPA “Ready To Ride Card”. Instructors will be expected to demonstrate; short paddle stroke, slow and fast, and recovery stroke.
Instructor candidates will give lectures and coach other students during the course. Instructors will be assessed throughout the course –paddles skills, safety, group control and general SUP knowledge. There is an exam and paddle test on the water. The courses are divided up between the classroom and on the water. We cover site assessment, teaching psychology, weather, tides, rescue techniques and teaching drills. We talk through equipment so when you leave the course you will be fully loaded with SUP knowledge .
We will also help you with your personal SUP technique and paddle strokes. The course includes BSUPA manuals and certification
BSUPA Conversion Instructor Course
1 day BSUPA Conversion course for qualified water sports instructors –
Cost £160 – includes certificates and manuals
As per Level 1 Ready to Ride. It is assumed that candidates can demonstrate relevant transferrable skills from their other instructing specialities, such as site assessment, group control and teaching psychology. The Conversion Course focusses on SUP specific content. Shadow teaching will not be required
Additional pre requisites compared to Level 1 Instructor Candidates
- Instructor candidates must have valid RYA, ASI, BKSA, ISA Qualification
Teaching Ratios for BSUPA Level One Ready to Ride
One instructor, Six students, Six boards
BSUPA Level 1 Instructors Certificate will be valid for 3 years from the course date provided the candidate has a valid first aid certificate, RYA Powerboat qualification and BSUPA membership.